Are you becoming frustrated with the limited options to cope with your child’s diagnosed Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)? Are you suspecting that you, yourself, may have ADD?
Finding and addressing the cause of the symptoms is essential in the treatment of this condition. Naturopathic doctors have valuable tools for exploring the cause… in the meantime, your grocery list is an essential place to begin…
- quality protein at each meal: proteins are an indispensable part the of the ADD diet. Lack of protein in a meal can lead to wide mood swings of blood sugar and effect mood & behaviour significantly.
- good fats: omega 3 essential fatty acids (EFAs) are needed by every cell in our body… specifically our immune and nerve cells; brain and rest of body. Fish and flax oils are rich in EFAs.
- whole foods: unprocessed, made in your kitchen from foods you purchase primarily in the periphery of the grocery store; vegetables, protein, grains.
- physical activity: playing out of doors each day for at least 30minutes; running, jumping, cycling, climbing, etc. Activities as a family are especially valuable.
- ingredients that are irritants to your child’s nervous system, including refined sugars, colourings, additives, preservatives, pesticides, artificial sweeteners and MSG, to name a few.
- food intolerances
- television and videogame usage
A Naturopathic Doctor can help by:
- performing food intolerance testing for 96 common foods
- conduct hair analysis: detecting & addressing heavy metals and mineral deficiencies that may be influencing behaviour
- discussing slow, practical dietary modifications to support your child’s mood & behaviour
- working with you in a non-judgmental manner: we recognize that you have been doing the best that you could with the knowledge that you had.
- recommending case-specific supplementation
Healing the Hyperactive Brain, Michael Lyon, MD
Did you know?!? The top 3 foods that most effect people on the autistic spectrum are gluten, soy and casein (a milk protein).